Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Jane I need your thoughts on Appendicitis
smjpain posted:
Hi Jane still having problems with the Vaginal stuff I go see my Regular GYN on wed. for a check up because I have been having really bad pain and odor it smells like dead fish. Anyways my other problem is last friday I started having pain in the belly butten area and on have been in the ER four times because it has gone from there to my right side my GYN even thought it was appendicitis but I only have a slight elivated white count and my CT scan and ultra-sound plus x-ray have been normal. But the pain won't go away I have really bad pain I see my regular doc on monday to see if it would be wise just to do exploritory surgery because I also haven't been able to eat much other than rice,popsicles and clear stuff, was in the er last night for three hours. The pain is in the lower right side I have had low grade fevers and it hurts to sit up. Can it still be appendicitis if all test have been negative. What should I do

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear smjpain: Alas, I am not a surgeon so I cannot give you a definitive answer---also medicine is full of surprises. Usually a severely inflamed appendix will produce an elevated white blood count, as well as nausea/pain. It sounds like they were concerned enough to get a CT scan as well. If there was compelling evidence I would suspect that they would have done a surgery. Perhaps they will monitor your labs. Given your history of MRSA, abdominal scar tissue, and other post-op complications they maybe trying to be conservative until they have the most assured diagnosis.

Do you think the bacterial vaginosis (BV) has returned? Or are you suspecting a continued problem with the vaginal cuff? What finally happened with the severe vaginal/vulvar burning; did it improve?

Hope you don't have appendicitis--or need another surgery.

In Concern,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Tips
Doing yoga, (especially fetal position) always works for me as well as deep breathing, at least for a minute. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.