Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
period
72678 posted:
ok heres my question i have always had regular periods but now they are coming 3-4 days earlier then they should be in the past i did have them come a day early this has only happened for my last 3 periods, i have 2 children so i dont know if that effects anything my youngest is 20 months old so i know its been too long after having him for my periods to be early/off i am expecting my next period within the next 4 days im experiencing leg soreness, fatigue, boobs are hurting mostly the nipple i know these are all sypmtoms of pms but im just still weirded out about having so many periods in a row coming 4 days early any advice would be appricated thank you

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear 72678: A normal interval for periods is considered 21-35 days apart. There are things which can cause a woman to begin having closer together flows:

1. Age--As we move into our mid to late 30's flows can begin to come closer together. The pattern of flow will begin to change as well resulting in more of a "flooding" heavy type of flow.

2. Pituitary problem--With an elevated blood prolactin level from a pituitary adenoma, cycle can become closer together, and sometimes even disappear. Usually the woman will have bilateral nipple discharge as well.

3. Earlier ovulation or even missed ovulations--Generally time of ovulation helps set the time of flow to arrive.

If this continues to be a concern, if your cycles get steadily closer together, or if you have other symptoms (eg breast discharge) see your OB/GYN or clinic.For those women lucky enough to have cycles like clockwork it is understandable why even a small variation would be alarming.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Weight loss after pregnancy
I had baby number 2 6 months ago and still cannot lose any pregnancy weight. I read hints and tips on the Internet but it is all ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.