Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Is this normal?
An_247894 posted:
My dr. increased my dosage of Seroquel XR 3 weeks ago, and now my period is 1 wk late? Pregnancy test on Saturday was negative?
Advice?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: One of the possible side effects of Seroquel XR is missed menstrual periods. It is also noted that bilateral nipple discharge can also be a side effect.

Most of the newer medications in this class are supposed to cause less effects on the pituitary gland. The pituitary gland is the source of prolactin (hormone of lactation). An elevated prolactin level can prompt both nipple discharge and interfere with ovulations.

You did absolutely the right thing in checking for pregnancy first. Now I would urge you to let your psych provider know that you have missed a cycle. Most likely you will be advised to continue on the medication as prescribed as this is a known side effect.

There are a number of other drugs which have this elevated prolactin effect. I remember seeing a woman referred for rule out menopause. She wasn't menopausal, her newer psych med caused an unanticipated elevated prolactin level.

Lastly, there are MANY other causes for missing an ovulation and a period including: thyroid problems, ovarian cysts, physical stressors (eg sudden increases in exercise, crash dieting), emotional stressors (problems with boyfriends/girlfriends, money worries), increased body weight, anorexia, rotating shifts at work, etc. Any of these could be the culprit as well.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

how can a woman restore sensation in her nipples/breast?
since my last pregnancy in 2005, i have no sensation in my breast when stimulated. If anything, it hurts. I am 43 years old and I know I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.