Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
concerned about breasts
Anon_21189 posted:
I breastfed my children. My youngest is 7 y/o now. The thing is if I squeeze my nipples the smallest amount of liquid comes out. If I squeeze a second time it's gone. As far as I know it never leaks out.

I was in the room with a friend having a baby and when the baby was born and crying my nipples were stimulated. I don't think they actually leaked but not sure (padded bra). They were definitely stimulated in the same way as when I was breastfeeding my kids though.

I've never heard of anyone dealing with this and don't know if it's something I should be concerned about or not? Can anyone help me?

Anon_21189 responded:
Has anyone experienced this? Is this normal?

Anon_21189 replied to Anon_21189's response:
Jane, do you have any input for me?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Anon: Thanks for awaiting a reply. Sometimes women will notice discharge from one or both nipples. This prompts concern, especially if she has not recently breast fed.

Generally we tell women that bilateral, white or clear discharge , which is only present with nipple stimulation, is likely to be "normal." Being on birth control pills can sometimes enhance normal breast discharge. Certain psychiatric medications—especially the antipsychotics —can initiate nipple discharge. Bilateral, spontaneous secretions can be prompted by a pituitary adenoma, or hypothyroidism. Both low thyroid and elevated prolactin (from the pituitary gland) can be checked for using simple blood tests

The most concerning nipple discharges are those which are red/bloody, unilateral, and coming from just one or two ducts.

As you know from having breastfed, when one is lactating, a crying baby can initiate a sense of "let down". In your specific case even the daily testing for nipple discharge (by squeezing) or where there is sufficient breast stim during foreplay, prolactin levels can be enhanced. Some less common medical conditions causing nipple discharge can include: herpes zoster, lung/kidney tumors, opiates/amphetamines.

If you continue to have nipple discharge, or it increases, you should see your GYN or clinic for a focused breast exam. Hopefully it will abate if all the enhancing factors are eliminated.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.