Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Paragaurd IUD side effect or Issue
An_247929 posted:
I am 28 year old mother of three and have had the paragurd IUD for 4 years now. It has not been the most pleasant experience.

I have asked my doctor about my issues and been seen for my annual but nothing seems, to them to an issue. Over the last year I have noticed and increase is pain a week before my Period. It is intense and is always on my left side and it makes it hard to sit or move. Even going over bumps in the car can be painful. This will last a few days (about 4) and about a week or more later my period comes. I am concerned because it effects my ability to go to have a bowel movement, have sex, or be active (i have three kids and am a stay at home mom).

I have also had issues with bleeding when I have sex, bowel movement, and spotting for days after my period has stopped. Is this a side effects of the copper T or is this something I should be worried about?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Anon: It is difficult to know if these symptoms are attributable to the Paragard IUD--or are from another cause (eg endometriosis). Also, if the pain starts about 11 days before flow (4 days of pain then 7 days to flow) it might be related to release of prostaglandins at the time of ovulation.An ultrasound can assess for the presence of a free fluid in the pelvis (eg follicle fluid from an ovulation). A pelvic exam can determine or if your entire uterus/tubes/ovaries are to the left side.

It sounds like you are having significant impairments to your normal activities of life due to the pain. The only way to know definitively if the IUD is the source of all this may be to have it removed. I would urge you to see your GYN during the time the pain is present so they can do an appropriate exam.

In Support,
Jane

Helpful Tips

dealing with anxiety and bipolor episodes
dont know how to cope with issues of everyday life without wanting to cry, or break down in depression, its addecting my marriage what can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.