Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
help!
An_247935 posted:
got my period twice last month and not at all this month.. what could it bbe?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: Once pregnancy is ruled out, the most common reason for a menstrual pattern like you have described is not having an ovulation every month. In a normal cycle, estrogen is produced all month. Estrogen is responsible for building up the lining of your uterus so you have something to shed each month.

In a normal cycle, progesterone production increases following ovulation and release of an egg.. Progesterone "stabilizes" the uterine lining in preparation for a possible implantation of a new pregnancy. If you are not pregnant that month the levels of estrogen and progesterone fall, triggering the release of the uterine lining—your period.

So, if you do not ovulate, the estrogen build up of the lining continues, but without the usual ovulation associated progesterone. Thus, the hormone levels don't decline, and the lining stays up inside the uterus—your missed period. Alternatively, the built up lining can begin to shed on its own creating erratic bleeding patterns which are usually "too-light" or super heavy and prolonged. In your specific case you may have actually missed more than one month of ovulations.

There can be many causes for missing or having late ovulations: thyroid problems, pituitary problems, ovarian cysts, physical stressors (eg sudden increases in exercise, crash dieting), emotional stressors (problems with boyfriends/girlfriends, money worries), increased body weight, anorexia, rotating shifts at work, etc.

Lastly, a new pelvic infection (eg chlamydia or gonorrhea) can cause erratic bleeding. Yet it would not cause a period to be missed--that's more likely to be a missed ovulation.

An_247935, if your "normal for you" cycles do not reset themselves naturally in another month, or if you develop pelvic pain (eg ovarian cyst) you should see a GYN or even your local family planning clinic.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

irregular periods
am 21 yrs old & have had a fairly normal period since i was 10. i recently had a menstrual cycle for 9 days, while i also had a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.