Skip to content
Bulky cervix? And fibroids
An_247943 posted:
I recently went for my annual exam and my doctor was really bothered by the redness of my cervix. She mentioned it several times, and also talked about a "bulky cervix." She even went as far to say "oh my." She sent me for an ultrasound, but the diagnosis on that was for fibroids (which I also did not know I had.) Now for some details. I'm 36, have a two year old child, haven't had intercourse in over a year and before that wore condoms when I did. I have had one abnormal pap in my life and my colposcopy was normal. I did, however, wait too long for my annual. I was due for that almost two years ago. (Shame on me, I know!) Can anyone explain to me what all this is about an if anyone has been in similar situations? I have a follow up appointment with my doctor in two weeks and cannot get in sooner, she's booked. Thanks, in advance.

Anon_6061 responded:
I just thought I'd comment on the overdue exam. According to the new guidelines, pap smears don't generally need to be done every year because abnormal cells oftentimes resolve on their own. And when they don't, it takes a long time for them to become cancerous. Here's a link - http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/detection/Pap-HPV-testing

No clue on the red and bulky cervix although sounds like it could be some sort of inflammation or infection. Nurse Practitioner Jane may come along with some input.

mega_me replied to Anon_6061's response:
Thank you for the info! That is good to know. I was beating myself up for letting it go for so long.

I made the mistake of Googling the bulky cervix and it was not good! The word Cancer came up a lot, so I was hoping someone else came along here and had some more reassuring news for me!!

Thanks again!

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.