Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
ablation not what it's cracked up to be
kcagain posted:
My doctor suggested ablation when I asked him if I should consider a hysterectomy. I was 46, tired of heavy periods and didn't intend to have more children at my age. I was never told there were any possible negative side effects except that it didn't work for all women. He said for some they never have another period, for other they continue to have a light period.
The first 18 months were great. Absolutly no periods and not discomfort. Then suddenly one weekend, I was hit with so much pain I was certain I was having an appendix attack. But that nite I bled out in the bed--just bled out that once--not for days. Totally freaked me out and my doctor. He said periods don't come back after ablation and did a uterine biopys on me. It came back clear. He told me call him if it happened again. 2 month later, the same thing and then he says, well, for some women--a very small percentage, the periods come back. I could live with that. But the pain is worse than any period pain I had prior to the procedure. Every two months so far I have a period, and experience pain so severe you'd think my appendix or spleen were about to pop. I have cramps in my lower back like labor pains. The period only lasts a day but is brown and smells horrible. I'm embarrassed to be around people when it is going on. I would not recommend this for anyone. I guess a hysterectomy will be next.

Anon_6061 responded:
I personally know some other women who quit bleeding for quite some time after ablation and then started bleeding again so you're not a freak! As you can see from the many posts on this discussion - http://forums.webmd.com/3/gynecology-exchange/forum/12649/163#163 - other women have experienced various problems after ablation.

I had a hysterectomy and it's no picnic either. My body's changed so much and I've developed back and hip pain. Plus I miss my once strong libido and orgasms. I could pretty much care less now.

Helpful Tips

Hysterectomy
I am having heavy bleeding and sever pain with it every month that it affects my daily living when I have it I even had to drop out of ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.