Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Light pink Spotting Pain during Intercourse
An_247956 posted:
I have PCOS, my husband and I have been trying to concieve for a few years. I recently had a sinus infection and took some antibotics for it. Since then I have been having a very light pink discharge when I wipe, I have also what I though was a very light period since I dont usually have one. When I tried to have sex with my husband as soon as he entered it was so painful we had to stop... Thats never happened before. What could it be?? a yeast infection or could I possibly be pregnant? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: I would really doubt that a yeast infection would trigger your symptoms of very light bleeding. It could, however, cause enough irritation that there would be pain even at attempted entry. Given your history of recent antibiotics for a sinus infection (usually sinus infections require a longer course of antibiotics), yeast could certainly cause vaginal irritation.

Deeper pain with intercourse MIGHT be a dominant ovarian cyst. An ovarian cyst can also prompt erratic spotting or light bleeding.

You mentioned a history of both PCOS and very infrequent periods. This is usually linked to very infrequent ovulations which can lead to an overly thickened lining inside the uterus. A too thick lining can begin to shed under its own weight which may result in a "too-light" flow if just the topmost layer is being shed.

I would urge you to see your GYN or clinic. They can easily diagnose a yeast infection. They can also evaluate for a dominant ovarian cyst as a cause for deeper pain.

Yours,
Jane

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Dear An: So sorry, I forgot to address your question about a possible pregnancy as the cause of your spotting. Yes, if you have been having unprotected sex while trying to conceive you should rule out early pregnancy by getting a reliable pregnancy test done. Early pregnancy can present with a shorter, lighter flow--but not usually pain with intercourse.

Yours,
Jane

yankeeGal responded:
I also have PCOS so i completely understand what your dealing with. My husband and I have been trying to concieve for a while but the best advice i could give you is to see your GYN cause everyone is affected differently who has PCOS. it is one hell of a journey ....Are you on any harmone meds like to help you regulate your cycle? you should really talk with your GYN...

Helpful Tips

Try looking into this
I also have been dealing with the same thing best bet is to go to your OB/Gyn it might be Endometriosis I would try and get in as soon as ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.