Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
pregnancy
jurene83 posted:
I wanted to find out if it is possible for women to get pregnant and still have their periods?

georgiagail responded:
Some women bleed in the early months of their pregnancy. This is not a menstrual period but is often mistaken for one.

Gail

kamilacbronx replied to georgiagail's response:
What is the explanation of bleeding in the early months of a pregnancy?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to kamilacbronx's response:
Dear kamilacbronx: It can be from an infection (eg chlamydia), or it can be "normal" or it can indicate a problem with the pregnancy. Here is a link to an explanation of many of the possible causes of first trimester bleeding:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/pregnancy_bleeding/page2_em.htm#first_trimester_bleeding_causes

In my clinical experience I have seen women bleed as heavy as a period in the first trimester and still have a healthy baby.

Yours,
Jane

kamilacbronx replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thank you for the information.

Helpful Tips

irregular periods
am 21 yrs old & have had a fairly normal period since i was 10. i recently had a menstrual cycle for 9 days, while i also had a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.