Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
cervical cancer?
Roughneckswife posted:
I went to the dr to find out bout havin my tubal reversed n my husband decided to tell the dr bout the problems id been havin with my ovaries.. Well i made an appointment with my gyn n he done a pap n informed me i had a massive infection in my cervix n uterus n put me on clyndamicin n megestrol. Approx 3 days later the drs office called me n told me that i needed to schedule a biopsy immediately. she explained that i may have cervical cancer. Well on the hormone that im takin i have to take it 25 of 30 days. So i stopped for the 5 days n on the 5th day i started my period. I started my med back the following day. Well today is day 12 of my period n day 11 of being back on the pill. I have already had to reschedule my biopsy once now its scheduled for this thursday the 27th but if im still on my period they wont do the biopsy.....any suggestions on any of this? Should i go ahead n have the biopsy with this dr n get the results n get a 2nd opinion.....what can i do bout the bleeding?

jamie7571 responded:
have a cyst in my floupian tube and very irregular periods. i will bleed light for about 12 days and go 40 some days between my periods. My doctor decide to do a hystermeamy on me and i have to go in for a biopsy. I ask about what if im on my period i was told that he still could do the biopsy. some doctors choose not to when woman are on their cycle cause if was told that its harder for them to see. but in my opioion i would get a second opioion. One thing i have found out since my car accident if i dont like one answer than i found someone else to help me. I hope this helps. Remember its your body.

Anon_6061 replied to jamie7571's response:
Jamie - Are you saying your doctor recommended a hysterectomy before even doing an endometrial biopsy? There are many benign conditions that can cause irregular periods, including Fallopian tube (and ovarian) cysts. Most all benign conditions can be treated without removing the uterus (or the ovaries or tubes for that matter). Some large cysts may require ovary or tube removal but sometimes they can just remove the cyst (if it doesn't shrink on its own). But these cysts would not require that the uterus be removed. Of course, the cause of the bleeding needs to be determined before a treatment plan can be formulated.

Nurse Practitioner Jane has answered many posts about irregular bleeding. Maybe some of her posts would be helpful. And she may come along with her input.

Hoping it's nothing serious.

Roughneckswife replied to Anon_6061's response:
was supposed to have a biopsy on my cervix today but due to it bein day 14 of my period i had to cancel again they took me off the megestrol n put my on estradiol said this should stop it but its to the point i hurt so bad i cant even stand up straight for the past 2 days ive had to totally depend on my sister to help me he wont do anything bout the pain either he refuses to do even a partial hysterectomy he wants to try other evasive procedures first thats not fair i want it taken out so i dont have to worry bout this comin back further down the road so idk what to do

Anon_6061 replied to Roughneckswife's response:
I don't understand why he won't give you pain meds. You shouldn't have to suffer like that. Is the pain thought to be from the infection? Don't freak out just yet about the "cervical cancer" comment. Infections and inflammation can cause abnormal pap smears that aren't a precursor to cervical cancer. And even if you have HPV, there are many types that resolve and never progress to cancer. Infections in other body parts can be cured without removing the part so hopefully this applies in this case too.

You didn't mention how long you've been having abnormal pap smears but it can take many years (10-20 years according to the National Cancer Institute) for high risk HPV types to develop into cancer. More often than not, abnormal cells found on pap smears do not become cancerous. Also, relatively harmless inflammation and infections (yeast or bacterial) can cause abnormal paps.

These links about pap smears and cervical changes may be helpful to you:
Understanding cervical changes - http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/understandingcervicalchanges
Abnormal pap test - http://women.webmd.com/tc/abnormal-pap-test-topic-overview
Pap and HPV testing - http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/detection/Pap-HPV-testing
The HPV test - http://www.thehpvtest.com/about-hpv/high-and-low-risk-hpv-types/?LanguageCheck=1
HPV "types 16 and 18 are the most dangerous, since they cause about 70 percent of cervical cancers."

Let us know how you're doing and what you find out...hoping it's not serious.

this is the first abnormal pap. due to my gyn not helpin me with the pain i went to my pcp n she requested a pelvic ultrasound. that is 1 of the worst things ive been thru not only was it unconfortable but it was very painful. i wont get results til monday. im still in pain but my pcp gave me a toradol shot yesterday which helped a lil bit. but she wanted to see what was also goin on with my ovaries. they swell to the point it looks like i have golf balls under my skin. im just to the point idk what to do im so scared

Did the ultrasound show any cysts on your ovaries? Hope you get some answers soon.

Well just got the results of my pelvic ultrasound it showed that i have polycystic ovaries.... any ides

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is a metabolic condition (not just a gyn condition). It's been addressed by Nurse Practitioner Jane quite a bit. Do a search to find her posts about it. You can also read about it here -
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001408/.

Tubal ligation can also cause cysts to form on the ovaries but I thought the cysts from PCOS could be differentiated from non-PCOS cysts. Also, PCOS has other defining features as you can see in the link provided.

well things just seem to b gettin better n better now my gyn wants to do a d&c d/t today bein day 25 on my cycle

Hope the D&C shows nothing serious and is the end of your bleeding problems! Let us know how you're doing afterwards.

Helpful Tips

Try looking into this
I also have been dealing with the same thing best bet is to go to your OB/Gyn it might be Endometriosis I would try and get in as soon as ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.