Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Wondering if procedure is necessary
Victosha posted:
I am 49 y/o, saw GYN about irregular periods. He did US, which showed 7mm thick endometrial lining. Had just missed a period then. He said I need to do D&C.

By now I missed 3 periods. No other symptoms.

My question: is 7mm thick, considering my age? Do I need to have a procedure?

Appreciate any help,

Victosha

Anon_6061 responded:
If a 7mm thickness is the only symptom, this sounds like overkill in my opinion. Nurse practitioner Jane has posted about endometrial thickness quite a bit here and she's stated that 12-15mm is "too thick." Wikipedia says 6.7 is average thickness. So you seem pretty normal to me LOL!!

Since you're 49, you're likely in perimenopause when skipped ovulations and periods are common. The missed ovulations will cause you to skip periods and the lining to build. Then the subsequent period may be heavier than normal. So it's not uncommon for the lining to "wax and wane" during this transition time. Since the u/s was done after you missed a period, it would have been even thicker than if you'd had it done right after a period.

Helpful Tips

dealing with anxiety and bipolor episodes
dont know how to cope with issues of everyday life without wanting to cry, or break down in depression, its addecting my marriage what can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.