Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Just stopped Birth Control and now have mild cramping after period
BethS18 posted:
I stopped using oral BC 2 months ago to try to conceive. My period after the first month was only early by 1 day from normal. I had been on BC for about 9 years. My most recent period came way earlier than expected. I had spotting and bloating 7 days early, but then nothing the next day, then it got really heavy the following day (5 days before normal) and only lasted those 2 days that were heavier than normal for me and usually it lasts 4-5 days for me. Now I am not bleeding, but I still feel a mild cramp in my lower abdomen/pelvic region. It feels like menstrual cramps/bloating but also like I need to urinate slightly. I don't know if I should go to MD or see if it gets better. Otherwise I feel fine. Mild back pain, that is nothing new for me. I have RA and have been off my meds since March in anticipation of pregnancy. I feel like my stomach is slightly larger than normal for me, but perhaps I have gained a few pounds. It just seems tight near my pelvis. Should I be concerned or see if it goes away?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Beth: First of all you should rule out an undetected pregnancy since you have been trying to conceive. A tubal/ectopic pregnancy takes slightly longer to trigger a positive urine test, but if you get a positive test you should see your OB/GYN given the heavier bleeding/cramping.

MUCH more common would be something like an ovarian cyst which can also prompt erratic bleeding patterns and pelvic pain. Even a low grade UTI can create urinary frequency and pelvic pain (although not bleeding changes). If your symptoms persist you should see your OB/GYN for a pelvic exam, urinalysis, and possible ultrasound.

Hope you conceive soon!

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Irregular menstrual cycle
My daughter has been passing dark blood for over 10 days now. There are clots involved and the blood shed is between a very heavy flow and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.