Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Migraines, missed period, trouble sleeping
SuzannePerez posted:
this week i missed my period for the first time since ive been on birth control which i started about 5 months ago im on loestrin 24 fe. i took 2 pregnancy tests and both were negative. also the last month to 2 months i have had more migraines than i have ever had. one every other day. and also i have had trouble sleeping. i have a 6 month old but he sleeps through night however i am on a weird schedule bc of my husbands work hours. so wen i try to sleep it takes forever to get to sleep and i wak up often. and then im very tired the rest of the day. any help?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear SuzannePerez: Gosh, you have a lot on your plate! The easiest question first, OK? If your pregnancy tests were reliable negatives (which I would hope and expect) then the missed period is likely due to the hormones in your birth control pill (BCPs). As you likely have read, the synthetic progesterone in BCPs keeps the lining of the uterus thin. This is good because a thin lining is a healthy lining. However, over time, the lining can get so thin that there is not much inside to shed as a "pill period". In fact the manufacturer of your specific BCP advertised light or absent "pill periods" as one of the benefits of using that particular brand.

Migraine headaches can have MANY triggers. Even poor sleep quality can be a trigger. Your BCP is unlikely related to the sleep problem, but MIGHT be linked to the increased migraine frequency. Given the every other day frequency of your migraines I would really urge you to see your GYN or primary care clinic for follow up. If possible you can help by keeping a headache diary to see if there are any overt triggers you can identify that precede your headaches. For super frequent headaches some MDs will prescribe a preventative treatment. One such option would be a super low dose of Elavil or Pamelor to be taken at time to sleep as one of the side effects is mild sedation.

Here is a link to a good overview of headaches and their treatments:

http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/understanding-headache-treatment-medref

In Support,
Jane

SuzannePerez replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
thank you very much im going to make an appt with my dr soon!

Helpful Tips

periods
why is my blood dark at the beginning of my period ? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.