Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
SPOTTING A WEEK AFTER PERIOD
MOMMANWIFEY posted:
HONESTLY RIGHT NOW IM KINDA SCARED. IVE BEEN OFF MY PERIOD FOR ABOUT EIGHT DAYS. NOW I AM PASSING BLOOD CLOTS ABOUT THE SIZE OF A QUARTER WHEN I GO TO THE RESTROOM. THEY ARE DARK TO LIGHT RED. SHOULD I BE WORRIED ABOUT A MISCARRIAGE? OR IS THIS NORMAL FROM TIME TO TIME?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear MOMMANWIFEY: Miscarriage can be a difficult diagnosis to make--especially without a prior positive pregnancy test. The most conclusive way to confirm a miscarriage is to have sequential blood pregnancy tests which show dropping HCG levels in amounts which may be too low for a standard urine test to detect.

Other possible explanations for this abnormal bleeding could be:

1. Missed ovulation last month(s)--this can produce prolonged and erratic bleeding.

2. Midcycle (eg about 14 days counting from the first day of your period) breakthorugh bleeding. This kind of bleeding is usually scant but occasionally be more like a menstrual-type flow.

3. A tubal/ectopic pregnancy--while least common it is the most concerning cause.

Bottom line, blood clots the size of a quarter usually represent a heavy flow. If this persists you should see your GYN or local county family planning clinic. After an exam and possible pregnancy testing they should be able to give you the most "for sure" answer.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.