Skip to content
Hysterectomy
Curious posted:
I'm 65 and I had a complete hysterectomy several years ago and since then I have not seen a gynecologist because some doctors say I don't need a to see one and some say I do.

georgiagail responded:
What do you feel comfortable doing?

Unless your complete hysterectomy was due to cervical cancer, there is no further need for PAP smears because, of course, there is no cervix left to "smear".

If the reason for the hysterectomy was for cervical cancer, it is often a good idea to do follow up PAP smears to make certain all the cancerous cells were removed and none were remaining on the top of the vagina.

For many women, their gynecologist is the only physician they have. If you have a primary care physician, there is likely no need to see a gynecologist also.

Gail

smjpain replied to georgiagail's response:
georgiagail I am sorry but I really have to disagree with you about not having to see your GYN after you have a Hysterectomy unless you had it because of Cervical cancer the ACOG guidlines say differntly saying a women still needs to have a pelvic exam if not every year every other year because there still is a chance of getting cancer of the vagina plus if you had a Hysterectomy because of Endometriosis like me and my GYN have agreed you should get checked out once a year plus if not for a pap but The internal exam is very important also. I thank Jane would also agree with me on this point.

Anon_6061 responded:
I agree with Gail. You have no sex organs to check except your vagina and vaginal cancer is rare.

Did you have your hysterectomy after menopause and what was the reason? Just curious.

Anon_160335 responded:
A woman might not need an annual Pap smear, but she still needs an exam to check the vagina, the bladder, the rectum, the external genitals — and, of course, the uterus and ovaries, if they haven't been removed.

smjpain replied to Anon_6061's response:
No I had a Total LAVH when I was 27 and also had to have another surgery just four months ago to remove adhesions and if I wouldn't have had an exam every year I would have major problems I am only 28 and suffered for five years with severe endometriosis and was told by 5 GYN's that it was all in my head,even after having two scopes done to remove endometriosis. I finally found my Awesome GYN who actually cares about me and he saved my life and I will continue to get check ups yearly because that is what is recomended and I continue to have some problems. Vaginal cancer isn't rare and also you can still get Cervical cancer also.

Anon_160335 responded:
Vaginal cancer is not common. When found in early stages, it can often be cured. There are two main types of vaginal cancer

Helpful Tips

itching
several years ago I had this same problem...intense itching in the vaginal area, but no discharge or odor. I saw several doctors who said i ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.