Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
spotting
An_248140 posted:
have been spotting for three day and this has never happen to me before can some one help me with this

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: If you happen to be on some kind of hormonal birth control (pill/patch/ring/Mirena) the most likely explanation would be "normal" breakthrough bleeding/spotting due to the hormones in the birth control. However, if you are not using hormones then the following is my best GUESS.

If the spotting began about cycle day 14 (cycle day 1 being the first day of your last period), the most likely cause would be bleeding with ovulation. Right before ovulation there is a brief spike of estrogen. When this level drops back down to normal, the sharp decline can destabilize the lining of the uterus leading to spotting/bleeding. Some women have this sign of ovulation every month; others only rarely. Fortunately the amount is usually scant and brief in duration.

Some other possible causes of erratic spotting can include a new chlamydia infection (unlikely if you are both monogamous). polyps of the lining of the uterus (way more common in midlife women), or missed/erratic ovulations (usually there will be a history of missed/irregular periods).

If your erratic bleeding persists, or you develop other symptoms (eg pelvic pain from an infection or ovarian cyst) see your GYN or local family planning clinic. Hopefully, since it never happened before, this is an isolated episode of ovulation-linked spotting.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Keep Searching
Joanna, I just wanted to add my own experience of endometriosis. My period began about 2 months before my 16th birthday - yes very late. ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.