Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
IUD Removal-No Strings?
lbroadhead posted:
Several months ago, I went into my doctor for an IUD checkup. My doctor could not locate my IUD strings, so I had an ultrasound to see where it was. My IUD was in the right place, just missing the strings. My doctor told me that I would need to have an ultrasound again when I am ready to have my IUD removed. My husband and I have decided to try for a baby, and I am curious as to how my IUD will be removed with no strings? Will it have to be surgically removed?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear lbroadhead: It MIGHT be that the strings have "migrated" up into the cervical canal. If your GYN cannot bring the strings back down with a sterile Q-tip or some tiny grasping forceps, a probe can be inserted in the canal and strings can be caught in twisting motion (like twirled spaghetti on a fork).

In the most invasive scenario, the cervical canal can be dilated and a hysteroscope (fiber optic light scope) can directly visualize the IUD so it can be removed. Your GYN may have some other ideas about ways to remove it, as well.

Amazingly, some of the earlier IUDs were actually designed not to have strings. Currently stringless types are still in use in Asia.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Tips
Doing yoga, (especially fetal position) always works for me as well as deep breathing, at least for a minute. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.