Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    Unable to achieve penetration during intercourse/heavy bleeding after ...
    An_248197 posted:
    I am 30-years-old and recently became sexually active. After trying to achieve penetration for the first time with my partner, we found that he was unable to go more than two inches into my vaginal canal. This was very painful for me and caused heavy bleeding, which subsided into a watery-like flow for approximately six to seven hours after intercourse. I also noticed several quarter size, blood clot discharges during urination shortly after.

    To clarify - I do not use tampons and have never had vaginal penetration during masturbation. I also have slightly irregular periods and was told as a teenager that I likely had PCOS.

    I was raised by a male and live in a very conservative community, so receiving sexual information that doesn't include shaming, even at my age, is next to impossible. As a result, I have never had a proper gynecological exam. I know that this is an important part of my sexual experience and have made an appointment for next month, but I would like advice on other things I can do in the meanwhile.

    So, first, does this sound normal and if so, is there anything that I can do to make intercourse less painful and more enjoyable for us? Another message board suggested purchasing a sexual device to help "stretch" my vaginal canal, but I don't know if that is accurate. If this does not sound normal, what questions do I need to ask my doctor to ensure I receive an accurate diagnosis?
    georgiagail responded:
    You need an accurate diagnosis first to determine why the difficulty with penetration and what sounds like heavy bleeding. You discuss with your physician your symptoms upon your first time attempting intercourse.

    It is not unusual to notice some bleeding with the first attempt but the concern is with the amount that took place and the length of time this continued.

    Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
    Dear An: Thank you for your moving letter. I concur with georgiagail. It is better to delay any kind of treatment, especially an internet purchase, until you have a more "for sure" diagnosis. There can be a number of conditions which can be the cause for your symptoms (eg transverse or medial vaginal septum, shorter vaginal canal length, or even tension in the pelvic floor muscles).

    You might want to continue all forms of sexual expression except vaginal penetration until your exam. On your own you can try and insert your clean finger(s) in your vagina to see if you encounter any resistance.

    I especially appreciated your insightful statement about sexual shaming from your community. Sometimes we forget, colored by our sex saturated media, that shaming can still be a powerful message. ....We will all be hoping that your initial GYN exam can give you answers and clear the way for desired intercourse.

    In Support,

    Helpful Tips

    Dilated veins on breast
    I have dilated blue veins that are unilateral. They're on my right breast. I understand one factor can be if you've been pregnant and had ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

    From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.