Includes Expert Content
JANE HELP BAD ODOR
smjpain posted:
Jane I have a question I have noticed a really strong odor coming from my Vaginal area but when I look down there there is only a little discharge clear but it also smells musty like.The area is very red and swollen to the point I can't hardly open the lips I haven't done any physical therapy for awhile. It also is itchy and burns when I pee I ALSO have possibly mastitis again my doc wants to try taking me off my Estragen for a couple days before prescribing an antibiotic I have alot of swelling there and pain I had redness but it went away I saw her today but didn't tell her about the odor thing because I realy think my GYN should deal with it but, I have been having a problem with his nurse latly when I call like today to try to be worked into his schedule because he told me if I needed to be seen last week when I saw him to call but his nurse just ignored me yesturday and never called me back and this has happend before and sometimes she doesn't believe me about him saying that plus she never comes into the room when he examins me he has a Medical assistant that does. I just don't know what is going on with my Vagina or anythin I was doing some research on something that my GYN possibly thinks I have it is called Cystocele and Cystourethrocele or possibly Enterocele. Have you any ideas for the odor because it is getting really bad my friend even said something to me.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear smjpain: It is hard to know, without testing the discharge, if the cause of the vaginal malodor is BV, yeast, or even an overgrowth of one of the "normal" vaginal bacterias (this can even include E.Coli). Thus, I wouldn't recommend self treatment until you have identified the culprit. The next time you see your GYN, a microscopic test of your discharge can be done.

It's good that your MD is considering other causes of breast tenderness besides mastitis (eg estrogen-caused) before giving you yet another round of antibiotics.

Yes, it can be touchy trying to deal with various layers of office staff. In a busy practice the RN may be assigned to help decide when a patient should be overbooked or worked in to an already full schedule. Your best bet is to just tell your GYN at the next visit that you had these experiences with their staff.

Cystocele, enterocele, etc. are a relaxation of the vaginal walls which allow other structures to push into the space in the vaginal canal (kind of like a hernia pushes out the abdominal wall). Here is an overview of these:

http://www.webmd.com/urinary-incontinence-oab/repair-of-the-bladder-or-urethr a

[a title="Link: undefined">http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/repair-of-the-rectum-rectocele-or-small-bowel-enterocel e

Yours,
Jane