Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Symptom question
mommyme123 posted:
I am 38 years old and for a week have had a distended belly - went from a size 8 waist to looking 6 months pregnant. I have taken anything and everything to release the air in my belly - gasx, tums, pepto, protonics, prune juice. My bowels are very regular and normal, but I'm very gassy - belching like a truck driver. I have no pain, just intense pressure that worsens when I eat. I can't sleep on my sides or belly and urinate frequently and sometimes am incontinent when I walk, with no signs of having to use the restroom.

Finally, going to doctor today! My question is that I had an abnormal pap smear 6 months ago, but haven't done anything thing about it due to no health insurance. Could my symptoms be related?

History: Had precancerous cells and cryotherapy when I was 20, so this is reoccuring. 7 years ago had a distended belly like and was hospitalized for diverticulitis, only this time there is no pain associated.
Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear mommyme: It would be VERY unlikely for your current symptoms to be the result of an abnormal PAP smear. Usually if there is a severely abnormal finding on the PAP, the GYN or clinic will continue to contact the woman until she gets follow up as this is a medical-legal risk for the doctor.

Yes you do need to get the recommended PAP smear recheck. Hopefully they can do that when the abdominal bloating symptoms are being evaluated. Given the severe problem with belching and gas my best GUESS is that the culprit involves the GI system not the GYN parts.


Helpful Tips

Stress reduction
If you are a busy person and your schedule is packed and you are wondering how you can find the time to get more sleep, I have a challenge ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.