Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Painfull Intercourse
spiprn1 posted:
When me and my husband have intercourse it is extremely painfull. I went to GYN and ended up having a hystorectomy and thought that would fix the problem. It still hurts as bad as before. I feel like he is hitting something when he enters me and even with alot of lubricant it still hurts. We have tried just about everything from different lubricants to different positions. What else could be causing this. We cant enjoy our intamate times together because of this pain. Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear spiprn: There can be many causes of pain with deeper penetration (as opposed to pain with initial entry/penetration):

Endometriosis--this would have been noted at your surgery
Adhesions--bands of scar tissue from old infection or surgery
Pelvic infection--doubt this given your monogamy
Adnexal pathology--unlikely to be new ovarian problem in your case
Irritable bowel syndrome--most common cause of non-GYN pelvic pain
Interstitial cystitis--actual pain is from bladder
Pelvic congestion syndrome--varicose veins of the ovaries or other pelvic structures
Cystocele or rectocele---the vaginal roof or floor has a weak spot creating a hernia like protrusion into the vaginal canal.

I would hope that your current GYN has tried to rule out some of these causes of pain. It may be time to consider a second opinion. Your best bet would be a GYN with specialized training in vulvar and vaginal pain. They tend to see all the unusual cases. Here is a link to the International Pelvis Pain Society. They have a referral list as well as more in depth information:

http://www.pelvicpain.org/

In Support,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Thickened endometrial lining
Hi I am 52, stopped my periods 5 months ago - assumed menopause, feeling very bloated for the past 3 months - doc ordered hormone test - ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.