Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Painfull Intercourse
    spiprn1 posted:
    When me and my husband have intercourse it is extremely painfull. I went to GYN and ended up having a hystorectomy and thought that would fix the problem. It still hurts as bad as before. I feel like he is hitting something when he enters me and even with alot of lubricant it still hurts. We have tried just about everything from different lubricants to different positions. What else could be causing this. We cant enjoy our intamate times together because of this pain. Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks
    Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
    Dear spiprn: There can be many causes of pain with deeper penetration (as opposed to pain with initial entry/penetration):

    Endometriosis--this would have been noted at your surgery
    Adhesions--bands of scar tissue from old infection or surgery
    Pelvic infection--doubt this given your monogamy
    Adnexal pathology--unlikely to be new ovarian problem in your case
    Irritable bowel syndrome--most common cause of non-GYN pelvic pain
    Interstitial cystitis--actual pain is from bladder
    Pelvic congestion syndrome--varicose veins of the ovaries or other pelvic structures
    Cystocele or rectocele---the vaginal roof or floor has a weak spot creating a hernia like protrusion into the vaginal canal.

    I would hope that your current GYN has tried to rule out some of these causes of pain. It may be time to consider a second opinion. Your best bet would be a GYN with specialized training in vulvar and vaginal pain. They tend to see all the unusual cases. Here is a link to the International Pelvis Pain Society. They have a referral list as well as more in depth information:

    In Support,
    spiprn1 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
    Thank you Ill make an appointment next week with one of the providers.

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Expert Blog

    Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

    From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.