Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Polyps during well woman exam?
An_248228 posted:
I had my first well woman exam since I had my son 22 months ago. She mentioned to me that I had polyps on the outside of the opening of my vagina, and not to worry about it unless they were painful. When I got home I looked and noticed several huge flat tags around the opening and a little inside or my vagina and around where I urinate. I think if I were to have them removed it would be pretty extensive and idk if I want to go that route, I cant seem to find any pictures or sites that show exactly what I am seeing, and do not understand what could be going on. My whole private area down there looks really odd, I thought originally that it was just from having natural childbirth and it was just rips and tears that never healed back together?
Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: I'd be more likely to vote with your explanation. It's uncommon to have actual polyps around the opening of the vagina. One can have skin tags (eg former tears) or little asparagus shaped papilla-form structures (genital warts look more like round cauliflowers on a thick base). Polyps inside the vagina, on the cervix, originating from the lining of the cervical canal are MUCH more common than an external polyp at the vaginal opening.

One can also have polyps of the urethra, but again they tend not to be on the external skin. Rather they arise from the lining of the urethra.

Honestly, without an exam all this is supposition. I would urge you to see another GYN for a second opinion--especially before considering removal.


PS I could not find any internet photos of genital polyps except cervical polyps.

Helpful Tips

Best Way For Build Muscle Easily
Here York elected top first come up talking about yourself empower yourself that's it quality here every your project right now go for I ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.