Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Very Confused
An_248241 posted:
My husband and I are trying to conceive, we aren't using anything to help except ovulation predictor. I have received my period but it was much lighter and shorter than normal. I took a pregancy test but it was negative. I am nauseous the past few days and usually never feel how I have been feeling the last few days. Is it possible that I could be pregnant but the HCG level isn't being picked up on the tests?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: Current home pregnancy tests (HPTs) are advertised to be sensitive on the first day of a missed period—or perhaps a few days before. In the most recent review of accuracy of HPTs, published in August of 2011, such claims were tested. One brand, First Response?, detected 97% of pregnancies on the first day of a missed period. The EPT? manual (54%) and digital (67%); and the Clear Blue? manual (64%) and digital (54%) tests all detected fewer actual pregnancies. These results may reflect that the First Response? could detect as little as 5.5 mIU/ml of hCG in the urine while, the other two brands could detect 22 mIU/ml. Generally speaking, a reliable pregnancy test in a doctor's office should be able to detect a level of 22 units of hCG or higher.

Remember, it takes an implantation to produce hCG to trigger a test. In a study where day of implantation was documented with a sensitive blood test, it was determined that 10% of viable pregnancies were not yet implanted by the first day of the missed period!

Having read all this you can now understand why a GYN may recommend using a HPT twice, if the first instance is at the time of missed flow. About 97% of viable pregnancies will have implanted by seven days after the first day of missed menses. Taking a second reading can also enhance accuracy where your HPT is not one of the super-sensitive brands.

If you are still having pregnancy type symptoms with a negative HPT, check in with your GYN. They may want to do a blood test and/or widen the search for the causes of your nausea.

Hope this is the sign of an early pregnancy!

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.