Skip to content
Confused about decision to have uterine lining removed
An_248246 posted:
I know there haven't been any discussions in a few years but I just thought I would ask this anyway. I am 20 years old and as of several months ago started having great discomfort with my cycles. It dosen't have to do with flow size just the sensations. I started taking birth control and have been on it non stop for almost a year. I am considering getting my uterine lining removed completely so as to get off the pills as I do not like having to take them. My doctor says it is a bad decision but I know it is the one for me. I guess the question is who is right?

fcl responded:
I think that your doctor's main concern would be that you are very young. Removing your uterine lining would mean that you could not have children in the future. It might be wiser to try other forms of contraception first (have you tried different pills?).

Anon_6061 responded:
I agree with FCL. There are also other risks. Removing the uterine lining (regardless of the method used) may cause problems including chronic pelvic pain. This is because your reproductive system still tries to build the lining but since it's scarred, it can't function like it should. Also, if the lining isn't uniformly ablated, you can continue to have periods or they may stop and start back up many months or even years later. Again, these are risks to be considered. Problems may not happen overnight so you may have good results initially but that could change in a year or two. There's no long term safety data with the newer techniques. Here's a discussion with 166 replies about "endometrial ablation side effects" - http://forums.webmd.com/3/gynecology-exchange/forum/12649. You can also Google "endometrial ablation pelvic pain."

Wednesday replied to Anon_6061's response:
Thank you. I'll take a look at the link when I can.

Wednesday responded:
My doctor has agreed to send me to a gynacologist for more information. What will happen from here is still a mystry.

Anon_6061 responded:
I forgot to mention. As FCL said, maybe you should try a different form of birth control. There are a number of types that don't involve taking a daily pill. Here's a link about options -
http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/birth-control-birth-control-methods

Helpful Tips

Thickened endometrial lining
Hi I am 52, stopped my periods 5 months ago - assumed menopause, feeling very bloated for the past 3 months - doc ordered hormone test - ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.