Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hysterectomy at the age of 21
An_248275 posted:
Hello I had a hysterectomy at the age of 21. What are my health risk because I can not take HRT? Will it cut my life expectancy? Any advice?

Anon_6061 responded:
Were your ovaries removed or did they stop working after the hysterectomy? Surgical menopause (ovary removal) increases a number of health risks. A Google for "pubmed bilateral oophorectomy health risks" returns a number of articles. One of them - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20226402 - states "Observational studies show that estrogen deficiency, resulting from premenopausal or postmenopausal oophorectomy, is associated with higher risks of coronary artery disease, stroke, hip fracture, Parkinsonism, dementia, cognitive impairment, depression, and anxiety." You can also read the related citations shown with this article.

My only thoughts are that you'll want to be extra vigilant about your health by eating a healthy diet, exercising, and working closely with a primary care physician.

If you don't mind saying, why can't you take HRT? How long has it been since your hysterectomy? How are you feeling?

Helpful Tips

Hysterectomy
I am having heavy bleeding and sever pain with it every month that it affects my daily living when I have it I even had to drop out of ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.