Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Birth Control
An_247673 posted:
I started birth control bills on Sept 2nd. (when I got my first day of period) and seemed to have lots of issues, infections,etc so I decided to stop taking them 8 days into my pack. I didn't think being on the pils for only 8 days would totally screw up my hormones. I should have rec'd my period a few days ago and my period always comes early. Could it be possible I could be pregnant or its just the hormones and waiting for my body to get back to normal.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: IF you had very regular periods before, one would expect your "natural" cycle pattern to return within 4-6 weeks after taking your last active birth control pill (BCP). Should you be at risk for pregnancy it is very reasonable to check a urine pregnancy test.

Yes, even being on the BCPs for eight days could be enough to interfere with the timing of the ovulation that month. The hormones are out of your body within several days so I would hope and expect your usual timing of flows to reappear within the next four weeks.

One last thought. It might be good to let your GYN or clinic know that you were having problems with the brand of BCPs you were prescribed. That's important feedback for them.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 101 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.