Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Birth control havoc
rangoon posted:
Hi,

Previous to about a month and a half ago, I have been on the NuvaRing for birth control. I have been taking it for 8 years. Because I developed the symptom of benign tumors in my liver from it (woohoo), I decided to stop it.

That's when all hell broke loose. In the past 1.5 months I've gained 12 pounds, my cycle has gone haywire and my hair is falling out in clumps. I was previously 127/5'7"/28 years old before took out the ring, and now I am close to 140 pounds a month and a half later. I'm kind of at a loss. There has been no significant changes to my diet and exercise routine - it's not like I've been entering pie eating contests in my spare time.

The only change has been the ring, and I'd like to stop being on it since it's causing benign tumor growth, but not at this cost. I am also pre diabetic (T 1.5) and gaining weight means I am that much closer to having to medicate it. I'd rather maintain my weight. I have a doctor appointment next week, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this and has been able to solve it. This is crazy.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear rangoon: Certainly the cycle changes, and perhaps the sudden hair loss, could be attributed to suddenly stopping the NuvaRing. Yet I have not seen women suddenly gain weight when stopping hormonal birth control.

I would hope that your MD would look for other etiologies (changes in blood sugar, low thyroid, increased androgen levels from PCOS) for the abrupt weight changes. Perhaps another reader will see your post and share her experience with this.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.