Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
How long can you wait to have a cone biopsy?
amous72 posted:
In the beginning of August I was diagnosed with severe dysplagia cin3/cis. . Previous to this diagnosis I had not had a pap in 14 years so I have no idea how long it has been there. I am scheduled for a cone biopsy in a little over a week. The hospital that I am having my biopsy done at wants $700 up front before I am even allowed in there hospital to do the surgery. I have insurance that covers 80% but my portion is almost $1400 and they will not allow me to be scheduled without at least half down. My options are to wait another few months until I can save up this amount of money or not pay a few bills and catch them up later to have the procedure done now. Can a few months make a huge difference in the prognosis?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear amous: Classically we tell women that cervical cancer is slow growing. HOWEVER you have both very abnormal cells (CIN3) and carcinoma in situ (CIS) on your cervical biopsy. Given that your GYN recommended a cone biopsy to both remove the area of abnormal cells and to have more information about the entire involved area, you should try and get it as soon as possible.

I would urge you to call back your GYN or clinic and tell them your story. They can give you the most "for sure" answer about whether you can wait for three months. There may also be some way to assist you (eg the GYN could try and urge the hospital to work with you). Sometimes there are community resources to help. But it is most important to let the GYN know that you cannot get the surgery promptly.

We will hope that these cells are confined to a shallow area around the cervical canal. ..It is a national scandal that our healthcare system cannot cover a situation like yours.

In Support,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Itchy Nipple (Right Side)
Hi my name is Jennifer. I am 21 years old. I have a concern about having a very itchy nipple on the very tip and no reason why its itching. ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.