Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My Period hasnt stopped in 8 months
Rugg99 posted:
OK,I am 29 years old I been to many Gyno's and all try birth controls. ect, and still my period is not stopping. It's bad cramping as well. It's ruining my every day life, not only bleeding but blood clots as big as my hand.It just doesn't stop. I am very drained by now. and it's not helping the fact that my husband and i been trying to have a child now for about 2 years. All my blood work is coming out normal levels. But still nothing happening. I am about to see my 8th gyno. I was just wondering if there are any others going through the same thing, and what have they done for you?

agates responded:
I'm 30. My period also hasn't stopped in 8 months, not even a day. It's heavy, & I have cramping pain. I am emotional, & literally feel- drained. I have been working with a family doctor, who set me up with a Gyno & a Hematologist (blood doc).

Unfortunately, it has taken a while to get to the point where we are moving towards a real diagnosis. The blood doc confirmed that I didn't have an Auto Immune Deficiency Disease, (ITP) which you can be born with, & it can cause a lot of bleeding randomly, even if you have never had it happen before.

My gyno had me take 3 separate Trans Vaginal Ultra Sounds and 3 Ultra sounds of my pelvic area, like you would for a pregnancy. What we have come up with over the past 3 months of examining the lack of change, is that my uterus's endometrial lining is too think and it might be causing bleeding. It's 22 mm, which is is too thick. I also have a copper IUD that has no hormones. My blood work initially came back fine. But, the pictures they took with the Ultra Sounds say different. I also have 3 large cysts (which are painful) in my ovaries. They also see a line of blood "following" the IUD. They say that is unusual.

So, our next step is a procedure called a D & C. Dilate & Curettage. They are going to go into my Uterus and clean it out. That will also mean that the Gyno will get to put a probe in that area. That way she can identify if I have protein growths called fibroids or polyps. These growths have been known to cause bleeding, but are benign. They also don't always show in an ultra sound. Even transvaginal.

They are also changing out the IUD for a low hormone Murena IUD. I see you want children. A good Gyno, and they do exist, can give you a hormone pill that will keep you fertile & solve the bleeding.

I warn you, my Gyno is also looking for Cancer. Endometrial Cancer is serious, & statistically unlikely with how young we are. Other factors that play into that possibility, is if you are overweight (I am 215, so I am clinically "obese") Unfortunately, a factor that increases your chances of getting Endometrial Cancer, is if you haven't had any children.

Another condition that my Gyno is checking for is called "Endometrial Hyerplasia". It is likely that this is the case for me, as it could be for you. A good Gyno should consider your bleeding symptoms, and other symptoms, and think of this right away. Ask about it. All it is, is a think lining in your Uterus that has to be cleaned out routinely with a D & C until you choose to have a Hysterectomy, or go into Menopause.

If you have it, and it isn't treated it can develop into cancer. But, most of the time un-natural periods lead to a diagnosis & treatment. So, most of the time it isn't cancerous. Feel free to look up more about Endometrial Hyperplasia, as it is likely and you can check your symptoms.

I know your worried. So, be proactive. Expect and ask for an Ultra Sound! And, a Transvaginal Ultra Sound. The fact that it hasn't been done makes me feel that your previous Gyno's didn't go far enough in investigating. Use some of what I have been through. Research these terms: Endometrial Hyperplasia, Endometrial Cancer, Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP), Polyps, Fibroids, Ovarian Cysts & Endometrial Lining. This way you come equipped with your own knowledge & at least feel more informed. You can ask the right questions. You can list your symptoms. Then, maybe this can finally end.

Don't get too scared. You don't know yet what it is. Your Uterus might only need cleaned out. Happens to women sometimes. Makes sense after what, almost 20 years of bleeding, that the "room" needs swept out! Especially if it might have a special guest, soon!

I just wanted you to know that it could be serious, and if you are armed with information, you can TELL the doc's that you need them to take this more seriously. Take symptoms, keep a journal. If you know more, you can help them find the solution. Good luck. Hang in there! I literally know how you feel.

fcl responded:
What kind of tests do they run (apart from blood tests)? Have you had an ultrasound? What have they suggested is the cause? What kind of treatment? Do you mean that this is your 8th gyno in 8 months? Why? I'm jut trying to better understand your situation.

Anon_6061 responded:
There are many causes of heavy bleeding. Here's a comprehensive link - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015963/. Click on the section links to bring up their contents.

Have you had a transvaginal ultrasound to view your uterus and ovaries?

Have you by any chance seen a "general" or reproductive endocrinologist since you've already seen many gynecologists?

Hope you get some answers soon!

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.