Skip to content
Period lasting a super long time
mom2fiveblessings posted:
I have always been very regular with a menstrual cycle occurring ever 28 days, shedding for 4-5 days, very rare cramps, and done. However, recently things have been much different. I have my annual appointment in 2 months, but I wanted to see if I could find some possible answers now. My periods are now 26 days apart. I shed for at least 2 weeks with heavy flow for a couple days and then it just drags on and on with the lining getting darker and darker. Still rarely have cramps, but with the shedding part lasting so long I am barely free from my period when it starts again. This month I had 12 days between the end until it started again. I am a 37 year old mother of 5 that has lost 70 lbs in the first 6 months of this year (I have 50 to go). Is this all because of the weight loss or is there something more going on? TIA.

georgiagail responded:
Ever consider that all this vaginal bleeding may have nothing to do with menstruation and is due to some other medical issue?

It would be a very good idea to move that appointment with your gynecologist up from 2 months from now to discuss all this bleeding with him/her.

Gail

Anon_6061 responded:
Weight loss can certainly change the menstrual cycle but this sounds like something more serious. Here's a comprehensive link about heavy menstrual bleeding - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015963/. This is just the Table of Contents. You have to click on the sections you want to read to see their contents.

Helpful Tips

periods
why is my blood dark at the beginning of my period ? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.