Skip to content
First time with Birth Control
moonsigner2101 posted:
Look, I had sex and my stepmother dosen't know about it but she's taking me to get some birth control sometime here soon. I know that I can send her out to talk to my gyno personally but then she will know something is up. Will my gyno say anything and will it affect my exam if I lie and say that I am still a virgin?

fcl responded:
Just tell her that it's an embarrassing situation for you and you'd rather see the doc on your own. In any case, your gyn is NOT going to discuss your virginity or lack of it with you because it's none of his business. Nobody is going to ask you. Relax and breathe. Doctors NEVER ask that question because, like I said, it has absolutely nothing to do with them.

tlkittycat1968 replied to fcl's response:
I semi-disagree with her virginity or lack thereof having nothing to do with the doctor. I think the doctor would need to know if she has had sex so he/she can test for STDs and HPV.

Anon_6061 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
I'm not familiar with guidelines for STD testing but HPV testing isn't generally recommended for women under the age of 30 due to the ability of the immune system to suppress these infections. Too much screening can lead to overtreatment which can be harmful not to mention the costs. Also, not all HPV types are high-risk for cervical cancer. Types 16 and 18 are the highest risk - http://www.thehpvtest.com/about-hpv/high-and-low-risk-hpv-types/

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/detection/Pap-HPV-testing
"The guidelines advise that routine Pap and HPV cotesting be limited to women age 30 and older because transient HPV infections are very common among women in their twenties. Including routine HPV testing in cervical screening of younger women would detect many infections that will be suppressed by the immune system and not lead to cancer."

fcl replied to Anon_6061's response:
To add to this - STD testing is not routine. In most places you have to specifically ask for it. Plus you have the fact that gynecologists are now recommending pap smears from age 21 ... I doubt the poster is 21. So, all in all, I really don't think the poster need worry about being asked whether she's a virgin or not.

Helpful Tips

Fish Oil Caps
I take triple strength fish oil capsules (1400 mg) for heart health, and it has the added bonus of improving moisture in the eyes and skin. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.