Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
May I have a brazilian waxing in my situation?
airair posted:
I am thirty and stay healthy, but have seborrhoeic dermatitis on my vulva(small area, like the size of nail), which is not always there, but comes and goes. It presents every two months and then disappear in two days after I use "hydrocortison butyrate cream". Now I want to have a "brazilian waxing" (all-hair-off waxing on bikini part). So I wonder if it is ok for me?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear airair: I could not find any scientific data on waxing an area with this condition. However, seborrhoeic dermatitis (SD) can be worsened by changes in humidity, changes in seasons, trauma (eg scratching), or emotional stress. Certainly waxing would be considered traumatic to the area.

Also important to take into account would be the size of the SD (yours is small apparently), and the severity of the inflammation (eg mild dandruff of the pubic hair area vs skin peeling off). I would urge you to contact the MD that prescribes your steroid cream, or the MD who made the diagnosis, for the most "for sure" answer. Sorry I could not find a published study or case report in the medical literature to help you decide.

Yours,
Jane

airair replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Dear Jane,

Thank you so much for your reply!

I still wonder would the SD be worsened if I have the brazilian waxing in the SD-free period? I mean it's not always there, just comes and goes.

Many thanks again ^_^

Yours,
airair

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to airair's response:
Dear airair: You should ask the MD who writes the prescription for the steroid cream. You should also inform any skincare/waxing staff about the area so they can avoid wax to that site. It maybe that you will have to try waxing and see if it exacerbates the SD as there are no published studies about this. ...Let us know about the outcome as another women may be looking for answers as well. Be sure to include type of waxing used and if the SD area was avoided or not.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Itchy Nipple (Right Side)
Hi my name is Jennifer. I am 21 years old. I have a concern about having a very itchy nipple on the very tip and no reason why its itching. ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.