Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Bleeding after laparoscopy for almost 4 wks
Rachel706 posted:
I have endometriosis and had a laparoscopy on Sept. 24th. I bled for a few hours after I was home and then it stopped. When I woke up the next morning I was bleeding again and it was heavy. I assume it was my period, since I was on Depo for the last 6 months but I'm not sure. When I brought it up to my doctor at my 1 week follow-up he wasn't too concerned. This has been on-going for almost 4 weeks, and when I seen my doctor last Friday, he was more concerned with the amount of pain I was in from the exam than the bleeding. How long is too long for menstrual bleeding and what could my doctor do to stop it?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Rachel: If you were on the DepoProvera for six months then stopped it, the bleeding may be "hormonal" due to withdrawal from the Depo--- rather than a true menstrual period. Another possibility for continued bleeding could be an ovarian cyst as these can interfere with normal hormonal patterns tied to ovulations. Should the bleeding persist, a common way to get it to halt is a short course of hormones.

Obviously your GYN would want to be sure as to the exact cause before attempting any treatment. It is good that he was attentive to your level of pain post-procedure. If the pain and/or the bleeding continue return to your GYN for evaluation. ...So sorry that you have to suffer with the evils of endometriosis.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 101 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.