Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Help read this in my Urine test, what it means?
USA28 posted:
Hello, last night I went to the ER regarding to passing a lot of blood clots and menorrhagia.
They did a blood test and urine test and some sort of ovaries sono, everything was normal so they discharge me.
I never really know my blood type so I ask them, they say they don't really test for blood type unless I need a blood transfusion. Since my blood test come out normal, I am not loosing blood, so blood transfusion was not needed.
To my urine test, since I was no my menstrual, there was blood together in my urine.
On the test, everything was Negative and Normal.
But these three column it said:
Urine Blood 3+ AB
Urine RBCs Cells too Numerous to Count AB
Urine WBCs 25-50 AB
I don't know what it means, does it means my blood type is AB?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear USA28: No, that does not mean your blood type is AB. To get an accurate blood type you would need a separate blood test sent to a specialized division in the laboratory. I agree it is important to know your blood type. If you get pregnant a blood type is often done to find out if the women is Rh negative (or positive); the letter of blood type is done as well. Another way to find out your blood type is to donate blood (eg at the Red Cross). They can give you a card with your blood type on it.

In terms of your urine labs you mentioned you had vaginal bleeding mixed in with the sample. That could explain the 3 level of blood and the too numerous to count red blood cells. White blood cells (WBC) in the urine were 25-50--the normal range is none -few. When that many WBC are seen we worry about a urinary tract infection. In your case, it may indicate WBCs from vaginal discharge (common finding) that got mixed in with the blood.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Tips
Doing yoga, (especially fetal position) always works for me as well as deep breathing, at least for a minute. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.