Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Not sure what is going on
Mel2day posted:
I went to the dr's on Tuesday to have an ultrasound because of the abnormal bleeding I have been having off and on for the last three months and am confused by what occurred that day. First off, it only took 15 mins for her to do both a pelvic and a transvaginal ultrasound. I have had these in the past and they have taken at least 30-40 mins. Then as I was leaving I saw an image up on the ultrasound machine that almost looked like the profile of a baby...maybe I am imagining things I don't know...but of course now it has been three days and I still do not know the results. I am concerned that what I saw was not a "baby" but just some sort of growth. By the way I have taken several pregnancy tests over the last several weeks and all are negative. I was thinking though that the tech must have found what was causing the problem right away otherwise I think it may have taken longer to find it. What is someone's input on this, I am curious if anyone else has had this happen to them.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Mel2day: The time it takes to do ultrasound does not always indicate the quality of the scan, nor does a shorter ultrasound mean that they found something then stopped. A pelvic ultrasound done by a radiologist can include a scan of the kidneys, whilst a scan in a GYN's office may not. At one point there was a debate between the official organization of OB/GYN MDs and that of Radiologists as to whether GYNs were doing what the radiologists feel is a complete OB or GYN ultrasound.

I can understand your concern about not getting results after 72 hours. Hopefully they either scheduled you for a follow up visit, or planned to have your GYN call you with the results. In my clinical experience, if there is a "bad" result, the woman will be notified immediately because of the medical-legal implications of a "delay to diagnosis." She would then be scheduled for more testing or biopsy/surgery. If you do not hear back, call the office and request a copy of your resutls.

Hope your results are within normal limits and/or easily treated to get rid of the bleeding. Feel free to write back with your results, or if you have questions.

In Support,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Tips
Doing yoga, (especially fetal position) always works for me as well as deep breathing, at least for a minute. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.