Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Thick uterus lining, slowing-no cycles, discomfort.
Neneegirl posted:
I'm a 31 yr old mother of 3. My first pregnancy was a set of twins I had natural, my 3rd child was c-section. My cycles have never been normal or even in time! But always some sort of regular, 3-4 days tops. For the past 3 yrs. I have noticed a big change in how often I had a cycle and an increase in discomfort during my cycles. In 2011 my cycles became sporadic, and over 12 months in 2011 I had 5 cycles. All of them odd days apart. One month it was 28 days between cycles and the next 170+ days! No joke. I have regular yearly check ups/paps, everything always check out normal. So in december of 2011. I had a normal 4 day cycle and then I just stopped having a cycle. I was not too worried about not having cycles until I began to feel very heavy in my lower abdomen (specifically my uterus) I would get this painful pre-cycle cramps but nothing would ever happen. I describe it as the 9th month If pregnancy feeling, full, heavy, bowling ball between your legs feeling. So I decided to see my dr before my annual pap appointment due in December 2012. She ordered a ultra-sound of my lower abdomen and internal vaginal too. The results came back and I had a cyst on my right ovary, which the dr said was not a major concern just something we should keep an eye on. Sub-edometreal tissue with fluid which was said is normal at the moment. But it was discovered my uterus lining was 12mm thick. I too was told a normal uterus lining is 5mm. So a biopsy if my uterus lining was done as well as blood work to check my thyroid function and prolactin levels. I was put in Lutera birth control pills as I was told this would help my cycles regulate. After a month of pills I did have a cycle the last Saturday I took my pill, was like clock work! BUT it was the most uncomfortable cycle I ever had! Passed a lot of tissue and was changing pads every hr or so due to heavy gushing and bleeding. Couch bound with a heating pad! I had a follow up a month later after these tests were done ( dr wanted to see if the pills would work) and was happy to hear they had, she informed me last week Wednesday that she was puzzled because all of my tests come back normal! No cancer or abnormal cells in biopsy, thyroid was good, prolactin normal. No real reason why I should be having these issues. The next test is to stay on the Lutera pills for 6 months total then go off them. This is to see if the pills will regulate my cycles and the test will be after I go off the Lutera will I stay regular? I have a pap scheduled December 19 th and follow up of our plan. I will post that info when I have it. And repost after my 6 months of birth control. That's pretty much it, as I read all the posts I felt I should post my story because I did not find a story yet about missed periods and symptoms I was experiencing. I will update whenever I get new information, thanks for reading.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Neneegirl: Thanks for being willing to add your experiences with irregular cycles and a thickened uterine lining. As you have read on our Community, the most common reason to have both a too-thick lining and erratic bleeding patterns is a series of missed ovulations. Both low thyroid levels and elevated prolactin levels can interfere with regular ovulations--but those were found to be normal in your case. There can be MANY causes of missed ovulations including an ovarian cyst(s), stress, approaching perimenopause, being heavy set, etc.

In terms of your super heavy flow on your first month of birth control pills (BCPs), you had a known, thickened uterine lining. The withdrawal from hormones when you go onto the placebo pills triggers any lining present to be shed. Hence your super heavy, crampy flow. In subsequent months your flows will get lighter and lighter as BCP's balance of hormones keep the lining to a healthy, thin level.

Hopefully in six months what ever caused the sudden interference with your regular cycles will have abated, and your prior, natural pattern will return.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

periods
why is my blood dark at the beginning of my period ? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.