Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is Aging Optional?
Henry S Lodge, MD posted:
Aching joints, weight gain, loss of energy...Most people think that problems like these are inevitable with aging. But what if I told you that roughly 70% of "standard" American aging is optional? It's NOT a relentless tide. We now have a whole new understanding of the basic cellular mechanisms involved with aging, way down at the molecular level. And the stunning news from the front lines of science is that you have a choice. You can choose to become functionally younger by years, even decades, by making changes in how you live. These changes, not so surprisingly, involve exercise, nutrition, and your emotional health.

If you've let things slide for a while, you might be wondering if it's too late, if there's too much water under the bridge -- or maybe too many calories. Not at all! Studies have shown that your body can renew itself all the way into your 90s if you work hard enough to maintain physical function, and if you stay socially, emotionally, and intellectually engaged. This is the way to becoming Younger Next Year , and next decade.

Let's start with a few questions for you:
How do you want to live your life in your 70s? How about in your 80s?
In what ways have you aged that you're most interested in turning around? Will you commit to some good, old-fashioned work to make those turn-arounds happen?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome here, Dr. Lodge!

You've begun an interesting topic here and I'm looking forward to the responses.

LifeLongWeigh responded:
We have always promoted "move it or lose it", meaning moderate exercise regularly is great. A lot of people either don't exercise at all or over do it causing joint injuries. This will keep you active into your 80s!

loving70 responded:
As a 70 year old, I feel better psychologically, emotionally, and spiritually then I did in my 40's. My body is fairly healthy, I'm a 3 times a week walker, I do not eat processed food, and I am in love with my beloved husband and my life. How does it get any better?

3422_ responded:
I have lost energy. Yes, I will do old fashion work to make it happen. I do exercise (Richard Simmons Toning) three times per week.

motherofHasan replied to An_248723's response:
I thought I was doing good, then along came arthritis. I recently started swimming; hope it helps.

1berenice responded:
I have to start to exercise if I live 70 or more years, To eat less.
not to eat at night. to live an active live.

1berenice replied to 1berenice's response:
emotional, physical and spiritual live is required to achieve the desire goal.

FitnessMantra responded:
Very interesting topic. I am interested in knowing how to maintain fitness and improve as one ages. I am in my fifties and fit now. Want to remain fit forever,

motherofHasan responded:
Swimming has been great for me. I'm in the pool four days a week doing water aerobics and also trying to learn to do laps. Thanks, WebMD, for some helpful and inspiring tips on meeting my goals.

Tinadance responded:
Recently, I have started movement therapy, it has helped me fight my lower back pain, arthritis and bursitis. It has been great to walk around without pain and medication. To reduce my blood pressure and regulate my heart activities, I have cut off all oil, red meet, and salt intake. And to look younger I have started using Microcurrent treatment and I look so much better.

motherofHasan replied to Tinadance's response:
Please tell us more about movement therapy. How is it different from yoga? How does one get started? Thanks.

An_250373 responded:
I want to continue to be as active as possible. I broke my right shoulder, when I had gained 70 lbs, which I have lost almost all of the 70 lbs. now. I want to have a BMI of less than 24.9, which is the high normal for me (157 lbs). I am at 164 right now. It is very difficult to do any weight training because of my broken shoulder (reconstructed with rods and pins, broken in 4 places) but I can try. Right now I only use an elastic band for strengthening my arms and shoulders. I am 5'7" tall and am 61 years old. What suggestions do you have for me?

icverma responded:
I wanted to age healthy and disease free in 70s and 80s. I wont mind in going for old fashioned work.

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.