Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Lumps in calves
cyounghiker posted:
[a tabindex="0">I have multiple lumps - about 1-2 1/2 inches in size in both calves. THere is no discoloration or pain. there is only one lump that I can trace to a prior injury which occurred a year ago. The lumps feel like the soft tissue is hardening. THere are about 6-7 lumps on each calf. I just noticed them a month ago.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear cyounghiker: There are a number of POSSIBLE explanations:

1. Scar tissue---this would be most likely at the site of the prior injury you mentioned.

2. Subcutaneous cysts--these can appear in any part of the body. Often they will feel soft enough to compress with finger pressure.

3. Neurofibromatosis--in one study, masses were found about 50% of the time on the extremities of patients with this uncommon genetic condition.

cyounghiker, this is something that needs to be seen by a primary care provider. My specialty is GYN, so I'm not any kind of expert on skin bumps (except on the genitals). There are undoubtedly many other conditions which could prompt the lumps, and you deserve a "for sure" diagnosis.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

When is it appropriate to remove an IUD?
I have had my IUD inserted after my baby was born three years ago. When would it be suitable to have it removed? I know it is ok to have ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.