Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
changes in PMS symptoms
annony01 posted:
Hi,

I'm just wondering if its normal for changes in PMS symptoms or this is something worth checking out?

I have always had very irregular periods. Sometimes get a bit of moodiness and suddenly period arrives, other times get a few more symptoms (oily hair, acne, upset belly)

The past 2 or 3 cycles though I've noticed really sore breasts for a wk before, and the last 2 cycles have had really bad stomach cramping. It's happening at the moment where my belly feels so bloated and achey so i try laying down or whatever to make the pain less. Other times I dont have any pain then suddenly get a stab of pain for a minute or so then it goes.

I'm 28 too

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear annony: Yes, women do experience different premenstrual symptoms at different times. Sometimes increased breast tenderness can be a function of higher than usual levels of estrogen. But if there is persisting breast tenderness then pregnancy should be ruled out.

In terms of the increased abdominal cramping in the 48-24 hours before flow, most often that is due to increased levels of prostaglandins. Common menstrual cramps are caused by the release of prostaglandins from the lining of the uterus. Prostaglandins create both the cramps of labor and menstrual cramps by making the uterus contract. Common cramps may start prior to the onset of flow and usually last 72 hours. There are also receptor sites for prostaglandins in the bowel and central nervous system. Thus prostaglandins can produce not just cramps but also nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, headaches, and other "flu-like" symptoms.

Ways to block prostaglandins can include birth control pills, or anti-prostaglandin drugs (eg ibuprofen, naproxen sodium, ketoprofen, etc.). Some alternative healthcare providers such as naturopaths stress using of Omega 6 fatty acids in dietary choices, and cramp bark.

You could try over the counter drugs such as ibuprofen at the onset of your symptoms. If your cramps seem to be escalating in intensity or duration you may wish to see your GYN to confirm if prostaglandins are truly the culprit.

Yours,
Jane

An_241258 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thank you very much for your answer Jane, makes complete sense.
I did try over the counter drugs which did help and will make sure I have some on hand for next time!

mhsduchess responded:
Hello,

I'm not trying to promote premarital sex, but I found out that if I had at least orgasm per month, my painful cramps were minimalized.
I don't know if this works for everyone, but it sure worked for me.
Also, I'm not talking about an orgasim the old fashioned way, I'm talking about one from oral sex.

I'm 56, so I'm no longer having periods.

georgiagail replied to mhsduchess's response:
Orgasms through masturbation used to work for me.

Gail

Helpful Tips

periods
why is my blood dark at the beginning of my period ? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.