Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Lysteda Works But My Doctor Won't Continue to Prescribe
An_248638 posted:
Lysteda works amazingly. It has changed my life. I have much more energy and my period is dramatically less. I had to push my doctor to prescribe and now she won't prescribe for more than 6 months. I'm seeking information to convince her to prescribe longer. Help!

georgiagail responded:
Do you really believe an Internet group is going to be able to convince your physician to prescribe this medication longer than she feels comfortable doing so for you?

It is not going to happen. She may be concerned about the potential side effects to your health of this medication.

Gail

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: Georgiagail is correct, yet I would like to add some additional information for you. It's great that this drug (which is sold over the counter in some European countries) has decreased your heavy menstrual bleeding.

My best GUESS is that your GYN is concerned about your risks for side effects based upon your specific health history. At the bottom of this post is a link to a list of possible side effects, listed in both consumer terms and medical terminology, so you can see if you have any overt risk factors. There has been one long term study where women used this medication for 27 months. There were more reports of adverse events in this study than in shorter studies--probably due to the longer duration of use. About 2% of the women studied quit the drug because of adverse events.

If this medication has worked better for you than hormonal treatments, you might consider getting a second opinion from another GYN or MD who might continue to prescribe it for you.

Here's the link:

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/tranexamic-acid-side-effects.htm l

Yours,
Jane

Anon_6061 responded:
I came across this link the other day that shows effectiveness of flow reduction of various meds - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015970/table/ch8.t1/?report=objectonly . It also shows side effects for each. Even NSAID's show a high rate of flow reduction - up to 49%. There are OTC (Aleve, Motrin) and Rx NSAID's. So if you can't get a doctor to let you continue the Lysteda, there may be something in this link that would be just as effective.

Here's the full PubMed Health publication on Heavy Menstrual Bleeding from which the link above was taken - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015963/. Section 8 addresses pharmaceutical treatments.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to Anon_6061's response:
Dear All: Anon_6061 is correct (as usual). If one is going to try NSAID type medications there are two considerations:

1. The doses can be high and the amount of flow reduction varies by the drug used. Here are some examples from published studies:

Motrin 600mg 2x/day reduces flow by 36 cc
Ponstil 500 mg 3x/day reduces flow by 43 cc
Meclomin 100mg 3x/day reduces flow by 73 cc

2. The use of NSAIDs tends to work better with ovulation triggered heavy bleeding than with anovulatory bleeds.

I have personally used high dose NSAIDs to slow down my own heavy bleeding. It can have the desired effect but what I noticed was you had to use the drug for several days, otherwise the heavy flow could return.

Bottom line, I would really urge you to talk this over with your own GYN so someone can monitor you. As the excellent link provided by Anon_6061 notes even NSAIDs can have undesirable side effects.

Thanks to all for this discussion,
Jane

Helpful Tips

an over the counter item that helps me
I like AZO "for PMS". It has natural ingredients. One time I got dizzy and had to leave church and go lay down in the car. Then went to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.