Includes Expert Content
Help Please!!
An_248641 posted:
Hi im 18 years old.. usually my period lasts up to 3 days. cramping at the beginning only, and heavy the first day. I started my period 6 days ago (friday) it cramped like normal, but muuch heavier than normal that lasted for a few days with cramps getting worse. Sunday night it stopped, but cramping continued. the next morning it started again very heavy and cramping badly. that evening it just stopped even the cramping. this evening (wednesday) it started again, but just light.
can someone please try and explain whats happening to me, lol! (my boyfriend and I did have sex Sunday, and Monday night)
thanks!!

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: The first thing to do is to rule out pregnancy. If the result is negative (which I would hope), then the most common reason for a menstrual pattern like you have described is not having an ovulation every month. In a normal cycle, estrogen is produced all month. Estrogen is responsible for building up the lining of your uterus so you have something to shed each month.

In a normal cycle, progesterone production increases following ovulation and release of an egg.. Progesterone "stabilizes" the uterine lining in preparation for a possible implantation of a new pregnancy. If you are not pregnant that month the levels of estrogen and progesterone fall, triggering the release of the uterine lining—your period.

So, if you do not ovulate, the estrogen build up of the lining continues, but without the usual ovulation associated progesterone. Thus, the hormone levels don't decline, and the lining stays up inside the uterus—as a missed/late period. Alternatively, the built up lining can begin to shed on its own creating erratic bleeding patterns which are usually "too-light" or super heavy and prolonged.

There can be many causes for not ovulating: thyroid problems, pituitary problems, ovarian cysts, physical stressors (eg sudden increases in exercise, crash dieting), emotional stressors (problems with parents or boyfriends/girlfriends, exams), increased body weight, anorexia, rotating shifts at work, etc.

If you have any risks for a new STD (eg chlamydia or gonorrhea), these infections can prompt pelvic pain and erratic, heavier bleeding. Often there will be discomfort with intercourse (especially with deep penetration).

Should either the pain (eg an ovarian cyst or infection), or the erratic bleeding persist you should see a GYN or your local family planning clinic. They can give you the most "for sure" answer.

Yours,
Jane