Skip to content
Menstrual Blood Clots
NicoleLuvsAsianPPL posted:
Hello, I'm 17 years old and I've had blood clots and heavy bleeding for as long as I can remember. When I'm on my period, the clots are about the size of a quarter, and I only have clots. I've never had a period with just liquid blood, it's only been clots. I've been to the gynecologist and I had blood tests done for a endometriosis, anemia, and about three other issues. Thankfully, all of the tests have come out negative, and they put me on birth control since last year. The pills have lightened my bleeding, but I'm just wondering if this is a type of disorder, and if I might start clotting again if I stop taking the pills.

georgiagail responded:
It's important to remember that a menstrual period is not bleeding; it is the sloughing off of the uterine lining which is then passed out of the body. The clots that you are seeing are pieces of this lining and yes, they are normal.

As you've found out, birth control pills will often lighten this amount of discharge.

Gail

Helpful Tips

periods
why is my blood dark at the beginning of my period ? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.