Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
uterine cells after hysterectomy?
An_248646 posted:
I had a hysterectomy four years ago. I went back to my OB/Gyn due to having vaginal pain all the time so bad i cant walk sometimes. He did a pap and results so abnormal cells and uterine cells, he did remove my uterus four years ago. Is this normal? He repeated it and it came back the same way I now have to go in for a consult appointment, didn't know if i should worry and does this all mean.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: If your hysterectomy was of the type where the uterus was removed but the cervix (lower part of the uterus which extends into the vagina) was left then the abnormal cells are likely from the cervix. This would be the same as having an abnormal PAP smear found during an annual exam. The cervix contains both skin type cells ("squamous") and uterine lining type cells ("glandular" from inside the cervical canal).

If everything was removed, then the PAP smear is taken from the vaginal cuff (area of suturing at the back wall of the vagina). Abnormal cells in this scenario could come from surrounding vaginal skin tissues, but usually glandular cells are not present.

If your hysterectomy was done for cervical cancer, or uterine cancer, it is doubtful that the cervix would have been left behind. In this least common incidence an abnormal PAP smear of the vaginal cuff MIGHT represent a return of the primary cancer.

As you can note, there are three very different reasons for having an abnormal PAP after hysterectomy. Your GYN should be able to tell you which might apply to you. They are doing the right thing to repeat the PAP then possibly do a colposcopy with biopsy if indicated. ...Hopefully this is just an abnormal PAP result, like any of the rest of us could get.

Feel free to write us back when you get more information. Other women, who have a similar question, may be interested in your experience.

In Support,
Jane

lynettecook08 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thank you Jane for some insight. I did have everything removed for cancer..So I'm hoping that it was just a fluke result. Thank you again.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to lynettecook08's response:
Dear lynettecook: Thanks for sharing the additional information. We all will be hoping that it was the cytologist mistakenly identifying a few cells as abnormal. If there is a question your GYN can also ask that your original slides be re-examined.

Do let us know what your colposcopy shows. Many of our readers maybe following your story. Try to post back on this original thread so I can find you.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.