Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Month long period, not on contraceptive pills.
sara_j posted:
I have been on my period for one month and 2 weeks. I am not on any birth control and have not been on any for probably just over a year. I have been having 4 month gaps between each period, sometimes longer. Since september i have only had 4 days where it has showed signs of slowing down. At the moment it is ridiculously heavy, i am having to change 4 times a day using the highest absorbency sanitary towels and showering 3 times as a day as its been going through my clothes. The last time i went to the doctors about this i was told it was totally normal to have irregular periods and that there was not a lot they could do. I have had bad effects from trying different contraceptive pills in the past but ive never had a period this heavy or lasting for this long.

georgiagail responded:
While it is not unusual to have irregular periods, it is highly unusual to have a menstrual period that lasts six weeks.

This is NOT a menstrual period. This is abnormal vaginal bleeding that has nothing to do with menstruation. It needs to be looked into now. There is a real concern for severe anemia from all of this blood loss.

Gail

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 100 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.