Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
chronic pain
vmanatee13 posted:
At 15 yrs old I was diagnosed w/ cancer the size of a football that wrapped around spinal cord & crushed spine completely. I had a 3/4 of a donor spine placed and lined in rods and pins. I am 31 now and have increased chronic pain & nothing helps. Doc ran tests and can't see any new tumors or cause of increased pain besides a severe nerve disorder. But my pain is increasing in hip, like it's dislocated but x-rays are ok. I already take many different kinds of pain pills prescribed by doctors and they don't help. Stretching increases pain also. I am a mom of 2 young boys and desperately searching for pain relief. Does anyone have a solution to my increased chronic pain? It hurts so bad sometimes that I wish I never survived my cancer! Please help me find a solution to my pain problems, my kids don't deserve to watch me hurt and suffer all the time, let alone miss out on everything due to my pain. Also, can't have epidural shots due to all the rods and pins. Is there any other options for me?
Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear vmanatee: I am grieved to hear about your chronic pain. It must be especially difficult to be a young woman with a young family. Alas, my specialty is GYN so this will be a more general answer. If you were my patient I would refer you for a evaluation to a specialty MD who has expertise in all the other techniques of chronic pain relief. Often these MDs have come from anesthesia backgrounds.

Here is a link to the American Chronic Pain Association which has a resource locator:

We all hope that you can find something better than, or in addition to, pain pills.

In Sympathy,

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.