Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
PCOS
darlenelac16 posted:
HELP! I have been diagnosed with PCOS 10 months ago and have been trying to conceive for 18 months now. I've been on metformin alone for 2 months now, then my periods went out of wack again and started lasting over 10 days. I got prescribed Provera for 10 days. The bleeding stopped the first 2 days, then started on the 7th day of provera. I was told I'm suppose to bleed a few days after provera. Well it's been 7 days since the bleeding and 4 days since i've stopped provera and the bleeding just isn't getting light and is still heavy. WHAT'S GOING ON ! We really want a child.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear darlenelac: You are correct, usually we expect the Provera to trigger a bleed within 72 hours of the last pill. The amount of bleeding of a "Provera period" depends upon the thickness of the lining of the uterus (super thick and very thin can tend to bleed more). If you have bleeding lasting longer than seven days--especially if it is heavy--you should notify your GYN. You might be prescribed another short course of hormones.

In terms of trying to conceive (TTC), it can be a longer process when PCOS. Here are links to a review on TTC with PCOS:

http://blogs.webmd.com/womens-health/2011/02/is-pcos-the-problem.html

http://blogs.webmd.com/womens-health/2011/02/treating-pcos.html

Hope you can get the bleeding to stop so you can resume TTC.

In Support,
Jane

darlenelac16 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thanks Jane. The bleeding actually lasted 7 days, then the remaining left the following day. I am in hope that my menstrual cycle will become normal soon.. my husband and I really hope to conceive soon. I have lost 43 pounds since January, I'm now 168 pounds, extremely proud of myself but am still in hope we're just having no luck conceiving.

Helpful Tips

Grandma all ready
Hi, I'm 57 years old and have 8 grand kids. I am bleeding pretty heavy, kid of like a period. I had a complete hysterectomy in 1978. What ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.