Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
NuvaRing -No Period?-
fish4life posted:
Here's my situation: I've been using the NuvaRing for approximately 5 years. Haven't had any problems think its great. Prior to the 5 year stint of Nuva Ring, I used it on and off for 2 years, during which time I still got a period sporadically, (sometimes every month, occassionaly every other month) and once not having one for 9 months.

I no longer have a period at all. Haven't had one since 2010. I have subtle symptoms of PMS i.e. tender breasts and sometimes moody.
Is there a reason I'm not having a period? Should I be concerned? Is this normal? I eat healthy, exercise 5x/week and am generally healthly.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear fish4life: As you may have read, if the uterine lining is like grass or lawn, estrogen is like the fertilizer (causes a thickening of the lining ), and progesterone is like the lawnmower (keeps the lining thin by three different mechanisms). This is why DepoProvera (high dose synthetic progesterone) brings about a thin lining, and why birth control pills (relatively progesterone dominant) bring about shorter, lighter periods. The NuvaRing and OrthEvra Patch work like birth control pills thus they tend to produce shorter lighter periods. The hormones make the lining much thinner (actually this is good as a thin lining is a healthy lining), but with prolonged exposure the lining can get so thin that there is not much to shed.

All of this is not a health concern. When one stops the hormonal form of birth control the lining returns to its former thickness and heavier periods return (oh, boy!). If having an absent flow is stressful for you (eg pregnancy worries) you can go back to your GYN or clinic. A change in formulation or type of contraception can restore your prior flows.

Yours,
Jane

fish4life replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Jane,

Thank you for the answer. Very helpful

-m

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.