Skip to content
Curious about Conception
An_248740 posted:
I am a 25 year-old female who stopped taking the pill (ortho try cyclen) in late August. Until then, I had been on oral BC for a little over 7 years. My husband and I have recently decided to try for a baby, so I have begun prenatals, folic acid, and a complex B and iron every few days.

After stopping the pill, I began using the ovulation sticks to find out when I ovulate, but all of them have shown negative. My periods arrive on time, and have been normal with the exception of last month's which was only 3 days (I'm usually 5).

My husband and I are both incredibly healthy vegans (no, we're not too thin and our blood work is fine), and we both work out daily (with the occasional lazy day). I do not drink or smoke, though I did smoke marijuana during my college days (which makes me extremely paranoid now that I want to become a mother).

Does my situation sound normal? I have read that it could take up to three months for the body to regulate itself, but I have also read that I should be ovulating by now.

My stepmother was unable to have children (though my biological mother had no issues) , and I have known others who were unable to conceive, so this is something I've always contemplated.

Any reassurance/comments/advice would be appreciated.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
When during your cycle are you using the ovulation sticks? Some women ovulate earlier or later than average.

fcl responded:
Why not learn how to track your cycle and pinpoint ovulation? You can do this at www.fertilityfriend.com . They also have resources to answer your questions and the best part is that it's free!

Good luck!

branyba replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
I have used them every day since my last period.

fcl responded:
I really wouldn't stress too much about this - it's early days yet. Is it possible that you bought a box of defective tests? Or that they have expired? Your urine may be too diluted for the sticks to pick up the hormonal surge. Another possibility is that your LH surge is very short and happens between two tests ... I'm not trying to push fertilityfriend at you but it might be a good idea to start charting ... possibly used in combination with the tests.

Finally, I wouldn't worry too much about your marijuana use in college - it affects male fertility not female.

Good luck!

branyba replied to fcl's response:
Thanks, FCL. I actually am a member of Fertility Friend. It has helped a bit. I'm just in the early stages, so I am sure everything is fine, I just want to have all my bases covered.

It is an off-brand (exchange select), but claims to be 99.9% positive. I emailed my doctor and she is calling me today to talk about it.

Thanks so much for all of your help!

An_241258 responded:
Hi,

I've heard it is normal for your body to take some time in regulating itself after taking BC. Some women can start periods straight away but not be ovulating. Some women have also tried for a year before they've fell pregnant. Other women have stopped the pill and fallen pregnant straight away.
The best bet is to keep trying, dont stress (as this will impact on ovulation etc) and if no luck in a couple months see your Dr again. Most Drs (in australia anyway) wont help until youve been actively trying to conceive for a year, not sure if its the same where you are?

Helpful Tips

Thickened endometrial lining
Hi I am 52, stopped my periods 5 months ago - assumed menopause, feeling very bloated for the past 3 months - doc ordered hormone test - ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.